Turmeric milk or latte is not a beverage I grew up with. But since I discovered it, I've been making it at home almost every chance I get. It's a great pick-me-up on days I'm feeling tired, under the weather or just need to relax. I pour myself a steaming mug and wrap myself in the softest blanket I have. The spices are so warm and comforting - it helps me sink into the flavors and aromas and forget the world for a few minutes.
Time: 10 minutes, including resting time
Ingredients for golden milk
For 1 serving
- 1 cup whole milk or plant based milk
- ½ cup water, if desired, for a thinner drink
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Pinch, ground black pepper
- Pinch, ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tsp local honey, or to taste
How to make golden milk
- Put milk, spices and water, if using, into a pot and stir over medium heat, until steaming. Do not boil.
- Turn off the stove and cover with the lid. Let stand for 5 minutes for spices to steep.
- Strain into a mug and add honey or desired sweetener.
Can be made up to a day in advance. Store in the fridge in an airtight container or a bottle with a tight stopper.
Tips and variations
- Nutmeg is optional but I highly recommend it. It elevates the creaminess and taste.
- Also good poured over ice for a cool and soothing summer beverage.
For turmeric latte, use ½ cup milk and 1 cup strongly brewed coffee or your favorite type of tea, including herbal teas.