Tofu is a beautiful blank canvas to cook with. This is no ordinary tofu! It’s packed with flavor from the perfect spice rub for a South Asian twist. Combining these South Asian flavors gives you a spicy, delicious version to serve with a side of rice, top a salad, stuff a wrap or gobble up as is.
I make this version usually when I’m cooking in between other tasks. The first part of combining spices takes less than a minute and I leave the tofu to marinate while I tackle my to-do list. The next part of frying it up is also very fast. Because the spices have already worked on imparting its flavors, the resulting dish is true comfort food that's a flash to cook up.
- 1 block tofu, firm or extra firm
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp lemongrass powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp unroasted curry powder
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- Salt to taste, divided
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- Handful of curry leaves (skip if not available)
- 1 stick of Ceylon cinnamon
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, cubed
- A dash of sugar, any type
- ½ medium-sized lime
How to make curried tofu
- Remove tofu from the package and rinse under cold running water for 1 minute. Gently squeeze to remove excess water and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a bowl, combine cayenne, lemongrass, turmeric, ginger powder, ground white pepper and salt to taste.
- Add the tofu to the spice blend and mix well to coat all sides of all pieces. Let stand for at least 20 minutes up to one hour.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil or ghee.
- Add cinnamon stick and curry leaves, if using, and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add red onion and garlic and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add cubed tomato, a dash of sugar and salt to taste. Combine and cook for 2 more minutes or until tomato is cooked through.
- Add tofu to pan and fry until browned evenly on all sides, turning the cubes.
- Take off heat and squeeze the lime over tofu. Mix to combine. You can remove the cinnamon stick.
Serve with a side of rice, top a salad, stuff a wrap or gobble up as is. How do you tofu? Share your ideas in the comments and tell us if you made this.