By Amal (@thunapahadiaries)
Everyone loves a good chocolate cake. My chocolate nutmeg cake is truly exceptional. If you are unfamiliar with what nutmeg tastes like, you might be surprised on your first bite and I promise you, you won’t be able to stop. Nutmeg and chocolate go so well together! Freshly grated nutmeg brings out the best of this recipe.
For the cake:
- 7oz flour (200g)
- 1oz cocoa (28g)
- 2 ½ level teaspoons baking powder (12g)
- 1 tbsp freshly grated nutmeg (from about one whole nutmeg)
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 8oz butter (225g)
- 8oz sugar (225g)
- 1/3 cup milk (80ml)
- 3 tsp vanilla (15ml)
For the frosting:
- ½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 210g confectioner’s sugar
- 23g dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1½ tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp brandy or 1 tsp vanilla
How to make the chocolate nutmeg cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Line and grease three six-inch round cake pans.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder together.
- Add the nutmeg and salt to the flour mix and whisk well. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add one egg at a time while continuing to beat, making sure to combine well each time.
- Add milk and vanilla and beat 1 more minute.
- Divide the flour mixture into 3 portions and add one portion at a time to the butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pans, dividing equally between them.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from oven and rest them still in their pans for ten minutes. Then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Directions for chocolate frosting:
- Begin by sifting the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa together.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, milk, salt and brandy or vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for about 30 seconds.
- Increase the speed and beat until the mixture is smooth and easily spreadable, about 2 more minutes.
- To assemble the cake, lay one cake on a cake stand or serving platter. Apply 1/3 of the frosting. Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting and repeat.