By Amal @thunapahadiaries
Sri Lankan cuisine offers delicious curries which are completely vegan! Don’t believe me? Try this delectable beetroot curry and see for yourself.
- 1lb beetroot
- 3⁄4 cups thick coconut milk
- 1⁄2 a large onion, finely chopped
- 2 Thai green chillies, sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cayenne
- 1.5 tsp unroasted curry powder
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
How to make beet curry
- Peel the skin of the beetroot using a vegetable peeler. Slice the beets lengthwise and then cut each slice into thin strips (about 2 inches in length, 1⁄4 inch in width). You could also shred the beets in a food processor.
- Place the beetroot in a bowl and add the cayenne, unroasted curry powder, salt, sugar and vinegar and mix well to coat.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves, if using. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the beetroot and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer until the beets are cooked, 5-10 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice.
Hi! My name is Amal. I work in academia, where I teach and research in the area of corporate finance. While doing my PhD I picked up baking as a stress reliever. Little did I know that it would become such a big part of my life! I love sharing whatever I have learnt about baking with others. I also believe baking is something that can be done by everyone and I love helping people find joy in baking. After all, nothing can be compared to eating some baked goods that came right out of your own oven!