By Amal (@thunapahadiaries)
Everyone loves a good chocolate cake. My chocolate nutmeg cake is truly exceptional. If you are unfamiliar with what nutmeg tastes like, you might be surprised on your first bite and I promise you, you won’t be able to stop. Nutmeg and chocolate go so well together! Freshly grated nutmeg brings out the best of this recipe.
For the cake:
- 7oz flour (200g)
- 1oz cocoa (28g)
- 2 ½ level teaspoons baking powder (12g)
- 1 tbsp freshly grated nutmeg (from about one whole nutmeg)
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 8oz butter (225g)
- 8oz sugar (225g)
- 1/3 cup milk (80ml)
- 3 tsp vanilla (15ml)
For the frosting:
- ½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 210g confectioner’s sugar
- 23g dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1½ tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp brandy or 1 tsp vanilla
How to make the chocolate nutmeg cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Line and grease three six-inch round cake pans.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder together.
- Add the nutmeg and salt to the flour mix and whisk well. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add one egg at a time while continuing to beat, making sure to combine well each time.
- Add milk and vanilla and beat 1 more minute.
- Divide the flour mixture into 3 portions and add one portion at a time to the butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pans, dividing equally between them.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from oven and rest them still in their pans for ten minutes. Then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Directions for chocolate frosting:
- Begin by sifting the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa together.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, milk, salt and brandy or vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for about 30 seconds.
- Increase the speed and beat until the mixture is smooth and easily spreadable, about 2 more minutes.
- To assemble the cake, lay one cake on a cake stand or serving platter. Apply 1/3 of the frosting. Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting and repeat.
Did you make this recipe? Will you make it again? Please tell us in the comments below.